If you live in the UK, the chances are you’ve heard about walking holidays, and with so many stunning regions in mainland Europe, the tours offer a unique insight into the natural beauty of our planet. If you are already dreading next year’s package holiday on the beach, here are just a few of the benefits you will enjoy if you book a walking holiday in Europe.
- Healthy Exercise – Walking at your own pace means daily exercise that isn’t too strenuous, and with 4 different walking levels, there is something to suit everyone. No more trying to regain your fitness after 2 weeks of lounging by the pool, and when the holiday is over, you’ll be fighting fit and ready to take on the world. There are Spanish walking holidays which are very popular in the summer, and if you would like to experience Greece in a unique way, there are a range of tours that operate.
- Experience the Wonders of Nature – While it is nice to view beautiful landscapes from a coach or train window, there’s nothing like a hike to really be at one with nature. Aside from having a ringside seat, the guide will show you the local animal life in its natural habitat, and with their extensive knowledge of the region, you are privileged to experience spots that only the local know about.
- Make Friends – Groups are typically 15-20 people and one of the pluses from a trekking holiday is the chance to meet likeminded people, who are also looking to experience Europe in a unique way. Lifelong friendships often blossom from a walking holiday encounter, with many families arranging to meet up the following year at a different venue.
- Affordable – While you are walking and experiencing the wonders of nature, you are not dipping into your pocket, which seems to be a continual process with a package holiday in a resort. Once you have booked your tour, all you need is a little spending money, and a budget for souvenirs.
- Sample Different Cultures – Walking holidays offer the chance to meet the local people, as they go about their daily tasks, which is preferable to a tourist show, and you can ask the local people about their lifestyle and will likely experience their warm hospitality throughout the trek. If Spain, Italy, or Greece is your destination, you will get to see how the locals farm and taste the amazing produce they grow, and with a choice of either a guided, or self-guided holiday, you can set the difficulty level to match your fitness and experience.
If you would like to know more about European walking holidays, a Google search will take you to the website of an established tour operator who can help you tailor the ideal holiday experience. With 4 levels and choice of guided or self-guided, you get to experience the wonders of nature at your own pace.